Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Batemans Bay - Eurobodalla Shire

There's not a person in Canberra who hasn't heard of Batemans Bay. It's the closest point for those wishing to escape to the beach in summer, indulge in water sports or simply enjoy its various recreational activities. Part of the Eurobodalla shire, it’s a coastal holiday destination that has various issues and challenges.

The future vision
The general population forecast for Eurobodalla shire is for a rise to 50,000 by 2031. And, with its population tripling in peak holiday season, its (social) infrastructure needs will need attention. Further, its proportion of pensioners will almost double by 2031. This means that a tailored approach to the sea-change-goers will need investigating (this is because when combined with its low income population, its ability to finance growth is hindered, creating economic issues).

However, climate change is of greater concern for the Eurobodalla coastline. The council have found a capacity to adapt and its current response guidelines are to:
  • Move inland with the release of green field developments;
  • Defend existing coastline; and/or
  • Plan for a retreat towards existing developed sites.
The Eurobodalla Shire Council has published the Eurobodalla Local Environmental Plan to:
  • Facilitate demand for growth/developments in the region;
  • Efficiently manage land releases and developments to save money in the long run;
  • Meet the needs of a fluctuating tourist town population;
  • Focus on tourism, recognising that it’s a big part of the local economy; and
  • Conserve/protect areas of cultural or other significant value.
Further, there is now a draft Eurobodalla Community Strategic Plan (Eurobodalla 2030, be proud, be part of it) that will cover all aspects of the Eurobodalla Shire. “The plan promotes taking a shared responsibility for the environment, the state of our assets, health care, broader economy, more jobs and community pride.”

Eurobodalla Shire - GIS image







































When researching the Eurobodalla, I got the impression that the shire is in good hands (unlike other bloggers). I say this because they have a vision for the future, combined with a council that have experienced the variables that the area has to offer, and, with a clear idea of their restrictions, they have the capacity to operate independent of outside intervention and proceed to manage and maintain their locality. In other words, they seem prepared for the future.

2 comments:

  1. What is the possible approaches that Eurobodalla can do to adderss the issues? What is the outside intervention?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I thought I had listed the approaches in dot points just above the shire map?

    If there was to be outside intervention, I assume it would be from authorities with greater sway than the Eurobodalla Shire Council. Such as the ACT or NSW governments. And, it would have to be out of self interest, such as the ACT Government seeking safer roads for it's travellers.

    I was not in the class this week, so I apologise if I have not understood your question correctly.

    ReplyDelete